This recipe is a 100% original backpacking recipe developed by Grant and Nicky. It all started when we made a Chicken Gumbo at home and thought, this would taste great out on the trail on a chilly fall evening after a long day of hiking. And boy were we right!
After a quick internet search we realized there there was not a backpacking recipe out there for Chicken Gumbo so we were going to have to create one for ourselves. After a couple of trials we have found just the right combination of ingredients.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup onion, dehydrated
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, dehydrated
- 1/4 cup corn, dehydrated
- 1/2 cup okra, dehydrated
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce leather
- 1/2 cup chicken or sausage, dehydrated (shredded chicken dehydrates the best)
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bouillon cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a 2-quart ziplock bag.
- Combine all ingredients with the 3 cups of water in pot and soak for five minutes.
- Light stove, bring to a boil, and continue cooking with the lid on for one minute.
- Remove pot from stove and wait ten minutes. Insulate pot if possible.